Thursday, January 14, 2010
Haiti
I am so heartbroken about Haiti that I really am at a loss for words about it. A couple that I know from church/a mission trip I went on to Northern Ireland are there right now...they were there on a mission trip when the earthquake happened. They are fine, thank goodness, and I don't know anyone else there, but our church supports many people who ARE there...Haiti is very close to Southland's heart. I am absolutely sickened by "Christians" who are claiming that the people of Haiti "deserved" this tragedy...I hope that none of my non-Christian friends will ever lump me in the group of people who feel that way. Do they not remember the story Jesus told the people who were asking him about the blind man..."who sinned, him or his parents?" and Jesus says, "Neither, but it is so the Son of Man will be glorified." Tragedy is not a punishment for sin, but a reminder of our own fragility and COMMANDMENT to take care of the poor and needy. I am very grateful that the government is sending help, but it is truly the Church's responsibility, not the government's. Jon (our pastor) has said that he will be discussing what we will be doing as a church to help this weekend, and I am on pins and needles waiting to see what exactly that is going to be...I feel so incredibly helpless, and I know Bryan does as well. Jon has been blogging about everything, here is the link if you are interested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi! Visiting from SK. Oh no, I hadn't heard there are Christians claiming Haiti deserved this?! How awful and sad. A friend I graduated HS with is there on a mission trip, still no word from her. :(
Post a Comment