My grandmother was on her own by the time she was 16 years old. She went to beauty school and opened her own salon out of her house, that she ran until quite recently. She met and married my grandfather when he was about to ship off to Germany during WWII, and soon after became the mother of two boys: David (my uncle) and Dennis (my dad), in the house that she was still living in up to the time of her hospitalization, in Verona, Ky.
I have many memories of my grandmother. I know I had a special place in her heart because I was the only granddaughter she had, and that made ME feel special. She and my grandpa had an above-ground pool at their house, and I remember always being SOOO excited when we would visit them in the summer because they had a pool...we didn't know anyone else who had a pool, and we just LOVED having it all to ourselves!! I also remember spending a week with them when my parents went to Hawaii one year...I remember going shopping with her at the Florence Yall mall and seeing "Fievel Goes West" at the movie theatre...and my grandpa falling asleep and snoring during it!!! I remember them coming down for my dance recitals and graduations. I remember her driving Bryan and I to the Cincinnati airport for our weddingmoon...and I remember how she never uttered a judgmental word about my divorce. I remember every Christmas of my entire life being spent at her house...the smells, the sounds, the food...I remember being 10 or 11 and being too embarassed to ask my mom for my first bra, so I wrote my grandma and asked HER for one, because I knew I didn't have to worry about being embarassed with her. I remember how she always looked her best, no matter what the occassion. I remember her coming to the hospital to visit Caleb when I had him. I remember how I loved that she shared my Christian faith and love for reading.
She meant a lot to me. Saturday is the funeral, and I think it will really hit me then. I am rejoicing with her that I know she is reunited with my grandpa and united with God finally. But we sure are going to miss her down here.
6 comments:
What a great tribute. I'm glad to see you put some of what you're feeling into words. You are so great with words. I know she was very proud of you! I'm blessed to be married to you and to be a part of such a great family. I'm blessed to have gotten to know your grandma for the little time I did.
Beautiful tribute Sarah. I'm so sorry for your loss.
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother last year in June - it is so hard to say goodbye. She sounds like a wonderful women. In the Jewish tradition, we always say "May her memory be for a blessing" when someone dies. There is another poem/prayer we always say during times of mourning that always touches me, and I thought I would share it with you:
At the rising of the sun and at its going down
We remember them.
At the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter
We remember them.
At the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring
We remember them.
At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer
We remember them.
At the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of autumn
We remember them.
At the beginning of the year and when it ends
We remember them.
As long as we live, they too will live; for they are now a part of us
as we remember them.
When we are weary and in need of strength
We remember them.
When we are lost and sick at heart
We remember them.
When we have joy we crave to share
We remember them.
When we have decisions that are difficult to make
We remember them.
When we have achievements that are based on theirs
We remember them.
As long as we live, they too will live; for they are now a part of us
as we remember them.
This is beautiful. I know she is so proud of the woman you have become and I know she loved to share her name with you! Stay strong. Thinking about you and your family . . .
I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. The one time I met her, she seemed very special. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sarah--very nice words and thoughts about a very nice lady. She thought the world of you and would be glad to know you have and will use her well thumbed bible.
Post a Comment