Thursday, September 30, 2010

New pipes, sewage, and expired home warranties...

So, a few months ago I smelled something funny when I got out of the car, coming from the vent that leads to our crawlspace. I thought maybe it was a skunk that had died under there or something. But it was blazing hot and nobody wanted to get under the house to check...plus, the smell seemed to go away. But then the other day, I smelled it again. Bryan went under the house and said it was definitely stronger down there, but that he didn't know what it was. So we had some people come and check it out. Well...turns out our old pipes had started to corrode, and sewage (i.e. stuff from the toilet) was gushing out every time we would flush, probably for the past 6 months or so. LOVELY!!!!!!!! So, they quote us $1200, which we luckily have in our emergency fund, but were NOT happy to have to write a check for! And then I was talking to my mom and she asked if we still had the warranty on the house. Bryan checked and it had expired FOUR days earlier. GRRRRRR!!! It would have covered $1000 of it. Sigh.  I almost wish we didn't know! BUT, it is our first big thing that has happened, so we should be grateful it wasn't worse. So, now we have pretty, new, white PVC pipes, yippee! Never thought I'd care about pipes. :) Ahhh, home ownership.

1 comment:

Me said...

I'm so sorry! How frustrating. I hope that the problem is easy to fix. - Tkeys