Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Why I love what I do...

I truly do love teaching at a Christian school, and there are times I'm really reminded of why. This week my class has been focusing on the story of Abraham, to get ready for the Bible Fair next Tuesday. We've been talking a lot about what it means to be a Christian, and how if we have Christ in our hearts we are descendents of Abraham (think "Father Abraham"!) . The children are supposed to interview family members to see if the are part of that heritage, and talk with them about how they became a Christian. I had a little boy (remember, these are 2nd graders!) who was soooo interested in praying the prayer of salvation that it just brought tears to my eyes. The conversations this has generated have been precious to me. THIS is what teaching is all about to me. Not math concepts, not phonics rules, but teaching them to know and love God. To have that eternal impact. If I stay home next year, that is what I'll miss about teaching...although I'll have a child of my own to impact, it will be different. Sometimes I think I should be in ministy in some way that relates to my passion/desire for this, but I'm not quite sure where I would fit in. All I know is I love that feeling of leading my students to love God more, and know him better. It is such a blessing.

2 comments:

bryan said...

That's awesome! I love your passion for teaching the Bible. I'm sure that God will reveal how He wants you to be involved in this in the future. Maybe He's calling you into some sort of children's ministry - or maybe it's just a passion in your heart that will be played out with our own kids. But I think it's wonderful that you have this passion!

joanna.crabtree said...

He will use your passions Sarah. Not only will you impact Caleb.. but think that once he gets bigger and is playing with other kids you will be able to impact those kids around him....

okay I'm seriously going to be late for work.. so I can't post anymore!! :)